JON C. HODGSON
Springfield, MO • Cell: 732.803.2300 • E.Mail: Jon@JonQ.com
Seeking a senior level Systems Engineering position with an innovative and dynamic technology organization, with the opportunity to be a high impact contributor to the revenue/market growth objectives of the company.
Twelve years of progressive
technical and business experience, culminating in the recognition as the top
customer facing technical resource within the company, substantiated by
numerous recognition awards and by persistent demand for my support throughout
the sales, product management and engineering organizations.
Unique combination of technology, industry, business process, and technical selling skills accounts for my success in the highly competitive Application Quality Management software market.
Lead Application Engineer.
Lead Pre-Sales Engineer of a suite Performance Management products, focused
on external service level monitoring & management (synthetic HTTP
transactions etc.) as well as deep internal monitoring of the J2EE & .NET
architecture (all Web, App, DB etc.) and root-cause analysis and event
correlation. Selling to both
Another key role of my position is field technical advisor to corporate Engineering and Product Management to help improve the current product set as well as design the future offerings of the company. I routinely meet with the CEO and VP of Engineering to ensure that the collective needs of our customers and target market continually help define the direction of the company.
· Sales presentations & whiteboard ‘chalk talks’
· Solutions architecture specializing in integration with existing application/enterprise infrastructure, often working with customer’s application developers to help them design future versions of their apps to scale better etc.
· Create Proposals, RFIs, RFPs and ROI documents including detailed Solution Diagrams with Visio
· On-site evaluations & Proof of Concepts demonstrating both the technical features and business-level benefits of our solutions
· Working with the Sales Managers to close deals by winning the approval of the technical champions in the account
· Creating animated technical PowerPoint presentations to supplement generic marketing messaging needed to sell highly technical products
· Work closely with product management/marketing & engineering to suggest, design & prioritize new features, products & solutions. This helps keep corporate architects aware of bleeding-edge field issues
· Work closely with Support to ensure my customers' & prospects' issues are properly resolved & treated with the correct sense of urgency.
· Given presentations at trade shows & have spoken at industry conferences
· Train customers & employees on our products as well as network & application monitoring, management & troubleshooting
· Work with Professional Services to design the SOWs & implementation plans for custom development
· Ability to sell both at the enterprise/business/ROI level as well as the ‘bits & bytes’ technical level.
· Work routinely with complex multi-tier J2EE and .NET application architectures
· Practical packet/protocol level knowledge of TCP/IP & related protocols (OSI layers, 3-way handshake etc.)
· Detailed low-level knowledge of the internals of Routing & DNS etc.
· Practical OS knowledge for systems & network troubleshooting, primarily Solaris, Windows 2K/NT – Routinely use tools such as netstat, traceroute, ifconfig, arp, ping, vmstat, ps, top, lsof, snoop etc.
· Familiar with most current network related server software & protocols, including all web/app/db servers (Weblogic, WebSphere, SunONE Oracle etc.), network monitoring management etc., especially the underlying protocols & communication they utilize
· Excellent interpersonal & presentation skills
· Able to ‘think on my feet’ and visualize unconventional workarounds to solution obstacles and product limitations
· The ability to ‘teach myself’ whenever I encounter new technologies or issues
Regional Technical Consultant.
(Nov 2000 to Jul 2003) Promoted 3 times
in recognition of exceptional results produced driving the technical portion of
a sale in partnership with the sales account manager. Played a significant role
in the successful closing of over 75 new accounts, including strategic
enterprise wins at UBS/PaineWebber, GE, Johnson & Johnson, Lehman
Brothers, Dun & Bradstreet/CSC, Standard& Poors, Chase Manhattan
Bank and DoubleClick.
Senior Engineer supporting all Eastern US Sales Teams. As Resonate’s first RTC, the role was created so that all large
Sr. Technical Business Development Manager. (Oct 2002 to Jul 2003) Secondary role to develop technical solutions with key partners such as Sun, BEA and Accenture, with the goal of creating Resonate solutions that overlay on the partner’s offerings, adding both pre-sales value to the partner and post-sales value to the customer.
Sr. Systems Engineer. (Nov 1997 to Nov 2000) Senior Pre-Sales Engineer presenting, architecting & implementing a suite of network monitoring, management, high availability and load balancing software tools. Technical Manager for all territory accounts, ensuring ongoing customer satisfaction as well as prospecting for follow-up activity.
Awards & Achievements
SE of the Year 1998, 1999 (Award not given subsequent years), 100% Achiever’s Club 1999, 2000, 2001 (Award not given other years)
“Above and Beyond SE” 2001, “Team Player SE” 2002.
Sr. Systems Administrator. Managed entire internal and external technical infrastructure for an internet design firm, including a multiplatform (Win/Mac/Unix) TCP/IP Network (LAN/WAN) and related workstations, servers and applications. This architecture supported several large Fortune 500 web sites including General Electric, Fuji Film and Hasbro/Star Wars.
Systems Administrator. Responsible for designing & maintaining the LAN infrastructure supporting all departments, developing and executing all computer related procedures including generation of a wide range of statistical reports. Other responsibilities included management of various mass mailings including a monthly program guide and coordination of on-air fundraisers.
Webmaster. Created and managed the station’s first Web Site, including all HTML coding, graphic design and CGI (PERL).
Behavioral Science Specialist/Mental Health Counselor. Advanced psychological counseling of active military personnel and veterans for various conditions, including Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, organic mental disorders, drug and alcohol rehabilitation, family advocacy and stress management. Awards received include the Army Achievement Medal for “conduct, professionalism and highly motivated attitude in dispatch of duties” Dec 1995, ‘Outstanding Soldier Award’ for 1995 and an Army Certificate of Achievement Award for 1997.
Electrical Engineering B.S., Junior
Behavioral Science Specialist (Mental Health Counselor), Honor Graduate
Operating Systems: Solaris, Windows XP/2K/NT/9x/3.x, AIX, HP/UX, Linux, MS-DOS, MacOS
LAN/WAN Architecture: Enterprise-scale TCP/IP architectures utilizing Routers, Firewall, Bridges, VPN, Load Balancers, IDS etc.
Internet Protocols: HTTP/S, XML, FTP, Telnet, SMTP, POP3, DNS, DHCP, LDAP, ODBC, DNS, Streaming Media, sockets.
Applications: Most current Web/Application/DB/Enterprise Servers, including Weblogic, WebSphere, SunONE, Apache/Tomcat, JRun, JBoss, IIS, Cold Fusion, Netscape Directory Server, Oracle Apps, Oracle, MS-SQL, DB2 etc.
Management Software: Packet Sniffers,
App. Tracers, Netscan Tools etc. Also familiar with Mercury, Patrol,
Other Applications: All standard business applications (MS-Office, Visio, Acrobat etc.)
Other Skills: Photography, Computer-based Graphic Design and Non-Linear Audio & Video editing.
Excellent Interpersonal and Communication Skills and the ability to ‘Teach Myself’ when a project requires knowledge of a new technology (Hardware/Software/programming language etc.).
Available on request.